March 24, 2011

A Good Decision

Me with my parents at graduation from ECU, May 1986
I had one of those moments today when I remember why I made certain decisions. Today I remembered why I went to graduate school.

I had to go to a job fair at ECU to get photos of the GUC (Greenville Utilities, for my non-local readers, my employer) booth. As I'm walking to and from the parking lot, I passed a lot of people with jackets, ties and dress pants. Some of them looked quite comfortable and confident, like they were ready to conquer the world. Others of them looked like there were about 14 years old and scared to death. Looking at these young masters of the universe, I thought to myself, "that's why I went to graduate school when I graduated."

Never mind that I met Dave in February, just 3 short months before I was set to leave Greenville forever and I knew I wanted to be with him forever. True love aside, I was not ready for the real world, never really have been. I was not up for the find-a-job-build-a-career thing. Scary stuff. Exciting stuff. Seeing those just-about-to-graduate folks today took me right back to 1986 for a second. They also made me grateful for the choices I made and for the life I'm living in 2010.

If I were to give them advice, it might be this:

No comments: